John Maddison, chief marketing officer and executive vice president, product strategy, Fortinet, said, “To secure the rapidly expanding attack surface against accelerating cyberthreats, enterprises must deploy cybersecurity solutions that leverage artificial intelligence (AI) at the heart of an integrated cybersecurity platform. We’re pleased that Enterprise Strategy Group has quantified the dramatic benefits of Fortinet’s approach to security operations (SecOps), helping enterprises make informed decisions about the advantage of automated incident detection and containment, as well as broader investigation and response.”
Fortinet® (NASDAQ: FTNT), the global cybersecurity leader driving the convergence of networking and security, has announced the results of an independent analysis by Enterprise Strategy Group (ESG) to quantify the customer benefits of deploying SecOps solutions from Fortinet. The analysis determined that customers dramatically improved detection, containment, investigation, and response while making security teams up to 86 per cent more operationally efficient. Organisations reduced cyber risk, improved productivity, and enabled existing teams to do more in less time. And all of these improvements come with an investment payback period of as little as one month.
The quantified benefits of the Fortinet SecOps Fabric
The foundation of the ESG analysis was in-depth interviews with end-users, during which they established the time it took each organisation to handle critical SecOps functions, such as the time to detect, validate, and contain incidents as well as the time to fully investigate and remediate them. Together with technical documentation, existing case studies, third-party analyses, and industry data, ESG was then able to establish qualitative and quantitative benchmarks around these functions, especially potential risk, time, and cost savings the average organisation should expect.
According to the ESG analysis, organisations that implemented Fortinet SecOps solutions realised significant savings and benefits in three areas:
- Early detection and prevention (EDP): The time to identify threats was reduced from 168 hours (21 business days), if detected at all, to less than an hour and often only seconds using Fortinet EDP technologies, which include FortiEDR, FortiDeceptor, FortiRecon, FortiSandbox, and FortiNDR that use AI and other advanced behavioural analytics. The time to triage these threats was reduced from eight hours to 10 minutes, and the time to contain them dropped from 4.2 hours to one minute based on Fortinet’s integrated approach.
- Central analytics and response automation (CARA): The time to investigate threats dropped from six hours to one minute (or less) using the insight and automation of Fortinet CARA components, which include FortiAnalyzer, FortiSIEM, FortiXDR, FortiSOAR, and managed detection and response services. More importantly, the time to remediate those threats was reduced from 12.5 hours to five to 10 minutes in most cases.
- Training and preparation: End-user and analyst training from Fortinet reduced risks from phishing attacks and improved incident readiness and response, which resulted in fewer security team hours spent responding to incidents. One customer estimated the number of people that clicked on harmful links dropped by 84 per cent. Additionally, cybersecurity professional education led to faster onboarding and increases in security team productivity, efficiency, and capabilities.
Operational savings from Fortinet technologies
Beyond the accelerated time to detect, contain, investigate, and respond to incidents, ESG modelled the expected operational savings related to security team productivity reported by participants. Results showed that Fortinet EDP technologies could reduce the average time spent per incident by 86 per cent, avoiding the expenditure of US$993,000 per year to accomplish the same amount of work. And adding Fortinet CARA technologies could result in a 99 per cent time savings, avoiding US$1.14 million in annual operational cost.
In the report, ESG also predicts that Fortinet products can reduce the average time exposed to risk by 97 per cent with EDP and 99 per cent with both EDP and CARA, helping organisations avoid an expected cost of cyberattacks by an average of US$1.3 million.
Combining the improved productivity and costs with the risk avoidance savings leads to a payback period of one to 2.5 months for Fortinet EDP and one to 1.7 months for the combination of EDP and CARA.
Automating security operations
The Fortinet SecOps Fabric applies AI, machine learning, and integration across the expanded digital attack surface with distributed security controls that span network, endpoint, application, and cloud that detect components and activity designed to bypass traditional security and hide among legitimate operations. At the same time, a centralised approach to broader investigation and response speeds an organisation’s return to safe operation.
To get more details and find out what customers had to say about deploying Fortinet security operations solutions, download the full ESG report.
- Download the ESG report or read the blog post for more information.
- Read more about how Fortinet customers are securing their organisations.
- Learn about Fortinet’s free cybersecurity training, which includes broad cyber awareness and product training. As part of the Fortinet Training Advancement Agenda (TAA), the Fortinet Training Institute also provides training and certification through the Network Security Expert (NSE) certification, Academic Partner, and Education Outreach programs.
- Learn more about FortiGuard Labs threat intelligence and research and outbreak alerts, which provide timely steps to mitigate breaking cybersecurity attacks.
- Learn more about Fortinet’s FortiGuard security services portfolio.
- Follow Fortinet on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook
, and Instagram. Subscribe to Fortinet on our blog or YouTube.
Fortinet (NASDAQ: FTNT) is a driving force in the evolution of cybersecurity and the convergence of networking and security. Our mission is to secure people, devices, and data everywhere, and today we deliver cybersecurity everywhere you need it with the largest integrated portfolio of over 50 enterprise-grade products. Well over half a million customers trust Fortinet’s solutions, which are among the most deployed, most patented, and most validated in the industry. The Fortinet Training Institute, one of the largest and broadest training programs in the industry, is dedicated to making cybersecurity training and new career opportunities available to everyone. FortiGuard Labs, Fortinet’s elite threat intelligence and research organisation, develops and utilises leading-edge machine learning and AI technologies to provide customers with timely and consistently top-rated protection and actionable threat intelligence. Learn more at https://www.fortinet.com, the Fortinet blog, and FortiGuard Labs.
Copyright © 2023 Fortinet, Inc. All rights reserved. The symbols ® and ™ denote respectively federally registered trademarks and common law trademarks of Fortinet, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates. Fortinet’s trademarks include, but are not limited to, the following: Fortinet, FortiGate, FortiGuard, FortiCare, FortiManager, FortiAnalyzer, FortiOS, FortiADC, FortiAP, FortiAppMonitor, FortiASIC, FortiAuthenticator, FortiBridge, FortiCache, FortiCamera, FortiCASB, FortiClient, FortiCloud, FortiConnect, FortiController, FortiConverter, FortiDB, FortiDDoS, FortiExplorer, FortiExtender, FortiFone, FortiCarrier, FortiHypervisor, FortiIsolator, FortiMail, FortiMonitor, FortiNAC, FortiPlanner, FortiPortal, FortiPresence , FortiProxy, FortiRecorder, FortiSandbox, FortiSIEM, FortiSwitch, FortiTester, FortiToken, FortiVoice, FortiWAN, FortiWeb, FortiWiFi, FortiWLC, FortiWLCOS and FortiWLM.